New Leadership Delivering Results for Cedar Falls
• Jim was born in 1936 and grew up in Monongahela, PA.
• He went to college in South Dakota and received his B.A. from Sioux Falls College in 1957 and his M.A. from the University of South Dakota in 1958.
• Jim studied for his Ph.D. in speech at Cornell University (Ithaca, NY) and the University of Iowa.
• He and wife Rosemarie and his two sons, Jim and Todd, came to Cedar Falls in 1965.
• Jim taught in the Speech Department (now Communication Studies) at the State College of Iowa (now UNI) from 1965 until he retired in 1998
• At UNI, Jim was active in the faculty union, United Faculty, and served, among others, as president, chief negotiator, and grievance chair.
• He has lived in Cedar Falls since 1965 and intends to remain here.
Why is Jim running for mayor of Cedar Falls?
Jim is running because:
• The Mayor and City Council have cut essential city services including fire and police protection, bus, and lawn and trash pickup,
• They have taken University Avenue (IA934) from being a safe and reliable 6 lane highway to unsafe and unreliable 4 lanes with roundabouts. As a result, some businesses have closed and others are under pressure. The roundabouts are not safe for pedestrians or for bicycles.
• They have illegally established a city administrator who is not elected by the people. Ordinance 2824 is null and void because it was not decided by voters.